We are your source for finding the right coverage to fit your unique insurance needs
Find quick, accurate, affordable rates on home insurance
Discover how easy it is to find the insurance option for your business

What are split limits vs. combined single limits (CSL)?


All automobile policies include liability coverage for bodily injury and property damage.  The liability limits that you choose on your policy can be written as either split limits or combined single limits.  While both policies provide adequate coverage for different scenarios, it is important that you know the difference.


Split limits are written as $X/$Y/$Z where:


·        X = the maximum total amount the carrier will pay for bodily injury to one person

·        Y = the maximum total amount the carrier will pay for bodily injury for the entire accident

·        Z = the maximum total amount the carrier will pay for all property damage resulting from a collision


Different from split limits, the CSL will be displayed as “$X00,000 CSL” and will pay for any and all injuries or damage resulting from the accident up to that specified policy limit. It does not matter what portion of the claim is for bodily injury and what portion is for property damage.   For example:   If you have a combined single limit of $300,000 on your automobile insurance policy and are involved in an accident that is your fault, your insurance will pay out a maximum of $300,000 for all bodily injury and property damage claims combined as a result of that accident.  Once the total of those damages reaches the $300,000 limit, then your policy is done paying.  Consult with your agent if you are not sure which coverage is best for you.

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014
  • 2013
  • 2012

View Mobile Version
Stay up to date on the latest news
Useful Links   Tweets   Contact Us
Get a Quote
Customer Service
Make a Payment
Refer a Friend
202 N Van Buren Rd, Suite C, Eden, NC 27288
Phone: 336-627-7037
Email Us
Powered by Insurance Website Builder