Fire Protection Tips for Your Home
Your home is one of your most important investments. In 2012, fire departments in the United States responded to over 1,300,000 fires. These fires resulted in over $12,427,000,000 in property damage and 2,855 losses of life. Help reduce the risk of fire in your home by taking steps to avoid some of the most common causes of loss.
Turn off and unplug small appliances when not in use. All appliances should have thermal protection devices (standard now in all new models).
Make sure the flue is regularly cleaned and well maintained. Install a chimney cap to prevent blockage which can be caused by leaves, sticks and animals. Use licensed contractors only to install wood burning stoves and fireplace inserts. This will insure that building codes and clearances are properly followed.
Electrical outlets and power strips
Do not overload or connect one power strip to another. Replace a power strip immediately if you see any signs of damage. Make sure the power strip does not exceed the maximum voltage capacity for the outlet that it is plugged in to. Do not place cords or wires under rugs, over nails or in high traffic areas.
Have your washer and dryer professionally inspected every 5 years to be sure they are operating properly. Clean out the lint filter after every load of clothes. Replace all plastic vents with metal vents.
Oil and Paint Rags
Place used oil and paint rags in a metal can filled with water and seal the can. Immediately remove the can from the dwelling until it can be properly disposed of according to local laws and regulations. Do not store unused products inside the home.
Your home is full of fire hazards. From your kitchen stove, to a romantic lit candle, to holiday lights, common household items can turn dangerous. Most home fires can be prevented by being careful and following simple fire safety measures.